Saturday, March 16, 2013

Kitchen Renovation Begins

Operation Inspiration Kitchen begins!!! A few weeks ago, I posted pics of my dream kitchen designed by A Postcard from Paris. The photos were all I needed to begin my newest (and long overdue) makeover...the kitchen. Our kitchen was beginning to look a bit lived in. It not only could stand a little Spring cleaning, but also some modernizing:). I live in the sticks and I don't mind a little Southern charm, recycling or upcycling. This week though, I went brand new. I managed to paint the lower cabinets,  add corbels to the island,  and change out the counter tops!!!!
     I shopped around for just the right look and realized the price of the counter top depended upon where I actually purchased the slab.  I visited 3 stores, one small store that mainly carried flooring, but also offered solid surfaces, a large box store where I was told that I would not be able to pre-select a slab or negotiate where the seams would be placed, and finally Classic Stone Interiors in Bossier City, LA that deals primarily in granite.  The staff at Classic Stone was wonderful.  No problem that the stone I wanted was not in stock...they gladly ordered it.  No problem that I wanted to talk about where I wanted the seam...I actually received a preliminary sketch for approval.  No problem that I wasn't sure what the fancy names for the edges were...they patiently showed me examples of each.  The biggest bonus of all...Classic Stone was actually the least expensive, but the most professional!
They measured.
We tore the old laminate out (gotta save money for the rest:).
 I am in love with the Black Pearl granite with its consistent pattern and beveled edges.
 We added a new stainless sink and faucet that is spot resistant. 
 Mike actually picked the faucet set which included a soap dispenser, a nice handy addition that will eliminate the family size Dawn bottle that has adorned my counter for the past 20 years.
We had to remove the molding on the back side of the island to add the extra supports.  During the removal of the old stuff, the wood on the island tore a bit.  Mike has patched, sanded, and put one coat of paint on the area.  It is not complete yet, but I am loving the corbels already.    I am off to find tile for the backsplash. I hope to find a basic white mosaic that will stand the test of time or at least the next 12-15 years:D

No comments:

Post a Comment