Monday, March 4, 2013

Adding Molding, Adding Height

In last week's #MyHouseMonday's post, I shared pictures of the house which inspired our paint choice.  While visiting the house, I was a bit envious of the extremely tall ceilings.  The rooms felt so big and roomy that I found myself feeling downright tiny.  There were so many things I loved about the house that I knew I wanted Mike to visit the house with me,  so that we could figure out which features we could copy:)  After hearing me rave about the ceiling height for 30 minutes on the drive over, we walk into the space and Mike looks at me and says, "These ceilings are the same height as ours."  "No, it can't be.  I don't feel short in our rooms.  What is the difference?"  The transom windows!
The architectural detail automatically draws the eye upward and accentuates the vertical height.  

Image from Houzz
                                               It's true, look at how tall this room seems!
Image from Design Chic
Ok, so while I love the light airy feeling created by the transom windows, I mainly liked the feeling of height.  Since it was not financially practical to add the transoms to the cased openings in our living room, we came up with an alternative...molding.
 Just look at how short the doorway looks.  Until...we added molding:)
 We did 5 openings in all.  Each span was about 4 feet wide.  The whole project cost a bit less than $100 (much cheaper and more practical than adding transom windows).
 This project was simple, inexpensive, and gave the same feeling of extra height...perfect!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment