Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Simple Solution: Glass Jars

The baby was home this week from college.  Having him and Mr. 21 in the house at the same time was like old times when I focused less on decorating and more on just keeping up.  My Spring Break was the week prior to the baby arriving so, I was gone to work much of the day and missed out on cooking breakfast and making an afternoon snack.  (I had stayed home with the boys when they were little and breakfast and snacks were something we usually did together.)  While Mike works at home and is a pro at cooking breakfast, I still wanted to leave something for the boys to let them know I was thinking of them.  I found clear glass jars while I was our shopping for kitchen accessories and I purchased 4 of them.  At the time, I wasn't sure what I would do with them, but they were so cheap (around $5) that I couldn't pass them up.  When I was thinking about the boys who seem to be always starving, I thought of the jars I had just purchased.  I grabbed from the pantry and filled them with Clementine oranges, blueberry muffins, ooey gooey chocolate chip cookies, granola bars and fresh flowers (not edible, but so pretty).  I set the jars in clusters and filled them with
oranges 
 and muffins 
with a fleur de lis ice water pitcher for breakfast.  When the muffins ran out mid-week, I filled the jar with healthy granola bars.
There were cookies for an afternoon snack. (No recipe to share.  I used packages of The Great American Cookie Company Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal Raisin bake-at-home kind that I found at the grocery store.  It was the first time I tried them, but they were delicious.  They literally melted in my mouth!!!)
I loved the clear glass jars not only because they looked so inviting, but also because they let me keep an inventory of the available food still in the house.  *Critical when feeding growing boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment